23 June 2021
Discourse Analysis : Exploring the Potential for use in Evaluation
The UK Evaluation Society is pleased to be working with CECAN Ltd to deliver this Masterclass for those working in consultancy, NGOs, Government, academia and other evaluation settings
There is much that can be learned from analysing discourse (‘the written and spoken word’). Rigorously applied discourse analysis can reveal, for example, assumptions embedded in legislation, policy and strategy as well as the uptake of these by different actors, including the public.
After this Masterclass you will know :
– What discourse analysis is
– The essentials of how to apply it
– What information it will generate
And you will have :
– had some initial practice
– considered its use in evaluation
Dr Maria Xenitidou is a qualitative social scientist with particular expertise in discourse and rhetorical approaches. She teaches on the topic at the University of Surrey.
- Corresponding to on-going, central issues in discourse analysis, this masterclass focuses on introducing participants to discourse analysis as a qualitative method in the service of analysing qualitative data. It is focused on the analysis of discourse and also on the reasons for opting for discursive approaches while considering the assumptions they entail.
- The class is designed to introduce participants to discourse analysis starting from a short overview of its philosophical underpinnings and the more recent developments and debates, and proceeding to the presentation of different ways to apply discourse analysis and hands-on experience with it. Through a combination of lecture and workshop-type sessions on the day, we will cover various approaches to discourse analysis as well as the main principles and key literatures, illustrate analytic tools through the use of examples, and engage in hands-on analysis.
- Plan of the day
09:30 – 10:00
Welcome, Introductions and Overview
10:00 – 10:30
Introduction : What do we mean by it? Discourse & Construction
10:30 – 11:15
Strands in Discourse Analysis: Some examples
11:15 – 11:30 Break
11:30 – 12:00
Analytic emphases & tools
12:00 – 12:30
Analysis in practice 1: tools-focused examples of discourse analysis
12:30 – 12:45
Questions & discussion
12:45 – 13:45 Lunch
13:45 – 14:15
Analysis in practice 2: discourse analysing text (interviews, focus groups, documents, etc.)
14:15 – 14:45
Practical session 1: Participants practice analysis in groups (Breakout Session 1)
14.45 – 15:00 Break
15:00 – 16:00
Feedback & Practical session 2: Participants practice analysis individually and then resume in groups briefly to feedback on the analysis (Breakout Session 2)
16:00 – 16:45
Group & Individual level feedback, questions & discussion to include highlighting contexts/situations where it can be used/useful in evaluation
16:45 – 17:00 Wrap Up
Who will benefit from this Masterclass ?
Those with some experience of evaluation, those interested in text analysis. Those with a social research background.
£220 for Non-Members of UK Evaluation Society
£180 for Members
£140 for Student Members
Apply for a place on this course …. N.B. Closing date for applications is 16th June 2021